Monday 11 July 2011

Cute & sexy squid...

I would like to welcome our three new additions to the Marine Discovery Centre!  We now have three beautiful female dumpling squid to fill the empty blue ring tank.  However, they love to hide so I hope you enjoy the challenge of finding them!  And perhaps if you are lucky you will get to see them eat.  They are speedy and veracious predators, the little glass shrimp don’t stand a chance!

Sweet little dumplings, too cute for words.

These squid have been donated by myself (Amanda) as I am finishing up my research on the mating behaviour of these amazing animals.  These squid mate multiple times during their breeding season and each copulation can last up to two hours!  The mating begins quite viciously with the male quickly grabbing the female and then manoeuvring her into position.  He then pumps jets of water into her mantle cavity, presumably to remove sperm from previous matings, before transferring the spermatophore bundle.  The remainder of the two hours is required to complete the transfer and eversion of the spermatophores. 
Karma Seatra, how embarrassment!
My research involves investigating the costs of mating in this species.  These costs could include energetic costs, predation costs and lifetime costs.  I am currently submerged in statistics to try and determine which factors are actually significant.  So I will need to get back to you with the results!  I hope you all get a chance to come into the MDC and see these cute little critters!

Hide & seek little ticksters.
Epic photos Amanda! Many thanks, we all look forward to hearing your results & checking out these cuties in the MDC aquarium!


No comments:

Post a Comment